An ITIN (Individual Taxpayer identification Number) is issued by the IRS to individuals who are required for federal tax purposes to have a U.S taxpayer identification number but who don't have and aren't eligible to get a social security number (SSN). You can apply for an ITIN for you, your spouse, and your dependents when you prepare your tax return with Diamond Integrity Tax Services.
If you need an ITIN, please read the following before contacting us:
1. We are a private Tax office and are not affiliated with, nor do we represent the Internal Revenue Services (IRS) or the U.S. Government.
2. ALL ITIN applicants MUST contact us by phone, mail, fax, or email to set up an appointment in advance. We do not accept walk-in appointments.
3. ITINs are issued at the discretion of the IRS. We can assist in filing a correct application, however, we do not control decisions made by the IRS.
4. We must meet the ITIN applicant in person or by video conference (except for dependent applicants under 18) We cannot process an application for someone whose identity we cannot verify.
5. An ITIN applicant must have a tax reason for requesting the ITIN. For example, if you need to file a US tax return (1040/1040-NR), you have a tax reason for requesting an ITIN. Applying for a job, applying for a loan, credit card, housing, etc.. are NOT tax reasons and the IRS will NOT issue an ITIN in such cases.
6. As a Certified Acceptance Agent, we must submit your entire application. The IRS does not permit us to allow filing by third parties (i.e., self-filing, accountants, or tax preparers). If you are requesting an ITIN for your tax return, this means our Firm will file your tax return on your behalf.
7. The ITIN application is not an attorney/legal service. The IRS reserves the right to audit our ITIN acceptance files at any time, and any information you give us to obtain the ITIN may be disclosed to the IRS and the US Government.
When can I meet with the CAA?
CAA serves are by appointment only. Audrie McHenry, CAA at Diamond Integrity Tax Services is available Mondays and Tuesdays' from 10am-5pm. Schedule an appointment at the website: https://calendly.com/mchenry_solutions/caa
The services provided include, but aren't limited to document verification, submission of the packet to the IRS, meeting with all applicants either in-person or by video-conference, assisting with suspended applications if needed, and contacting the IRS ITIN unit on behalf of the client.
The cost for CAA services depends upon whether we prepare the tax return that supports the ITIN request.
The fee is $50 for the Form W-7 application and $175 per applicant for the CAA services. There will be costs for mailing documents to the IRS if required. This typically costs between $8 to $16 depending upon the size of the packet being mailed.
The fee for CAA services, if we did NOT prepare the tax return is $75 for each W-7 and $250 per applicant for CAA services.
We accept payment in cash or credit card. We will provide payment instructions once you contact us.
The documentation you provide must be current (that is, NOT expired).
* Can be used to establish foreign status ONLY if they are foreign documents
What is the process?
Here are the steps, in general:
The CAA is a facilitator between the IRS and the client. The CAA works to submit proper ITIN applications to enable the IRS and the taxpayer to get through the process with less risk of processing issues.
Please be aware that neither the IRS nor the CAA can guarantee the issuance of an ITIN if you use the services of a CAA.
NOTE: You can't e-file a return using an ITIN in the calendar year the ITIN is assigned. Once your ITIN is assigned, you can e-file returns in the following years.
How long does it take to get an ITIN?
The IRS is in control of the timing. The use of a CAA might speed up the process, but there is no guarantee. The CAA does have the ability to speak with the IRS ITIN Unit for status updates and to make sure the process is moving along. Typical turnaround time to receive a response from the IRS for an ITIN is 12-14 weeks, unless it is during their busy season. Then it could take up to 16 weeks.
Audrie McHenry at Diamond Integrity Tax Services, authorized by the IRS as a CAA